“Part of the shift in paradigm is to make the relationship with our visitors transformational, or to transform the relationship of the recreation program and its constituents to that of one of exchange of fees or taxes for services to that of partner and citizen steward.”
-Southwestern Region Sustainable Recreation Strategy, 2014
Proposed Trails Map:
A Vision of the
The Zuni Mountains are a premier year-round recreational destination with a system of connected non-motorized trails. The Zuni Mountains offer trail experiences for mountain bikers, hikers, cross-country skiers and equestrians on narrow single-track and double-track routes. Families, novices and expert recreationists have plenty of places to play and enjoy the forest from a half-day to several days. Visitors and near-by residents enjoy close-to home forest recreation through community gateway trailheads encompassing the Zuni Mountains.
This Vision is achieved by:
- A partnership of communities — Cibola and McKinley counties, state, tribal and federal governments, and affiliated interests wanting to improve the quality of life and sustainability of the Zuni Mountains dedicate local, state, federal and grant funding to projects and management.
- The Zuni Mountain Trail Partnership coordinates volunteers and youth corps members for trails and forest health projects.
- Outfitters offer an array of services from guided tours and full service resort facilities to primitive campsites.
- Surrounding gateway communities that have responded with increased recreation related businesses -- guide services, bike sales, repair and service, lodging, camping, and RV supplies.
- Initiatives by local organizations to plan, design, build and maintain specific trail systems.
- Designing trail experiences for specific user groups.